Wednesday, September 3, 2008

the man, the myth, the legend

When I think of experimental films, stan brakhage is the first person that comes to mind. In all the film classes that I’ve had sections focusing on experimental films, stan brakhage seems to always come up. It seems like he’s placed higher up on the mantle than any of his fellow experimental filmmakers. I don’t know, maybe he really is a genius. Or maybe, it’s just been drilled into my head over the past few years that he’s brilliant, even though I have no clue why I believe it at all. I watch some of his films and I don’t really see anything different from some of the other similar films that I’ve seen by different directors. Hopefully, as the semester goes on, I will be able to see what separates him from the rest as I learn more and more in this class. One film of his that I do admire, for particular reasons, is the infamous window, water, baby, moving. I remember the first time I witnessed this bold film. I was sitting in the lumina theater for my 9 a.m. fst 203 class. All of a sudden, some of the most disturbing, yet beautiful images I have ever witnessed popped up on the screen. The film seemed to go on for what seemed like an extremely long time, and when it ended, myself and the rest of the class were dumbfounded, for lack of a better word. Brakhage needs a pat on the back for taking on such a project. He showed that even through the blood and all the other yummy stuff how moving childbirth can be. It’s definitely one of the most significant events in any person’s life and brakhage wanted to share his experience with the world. The film is definitely shocking today, but I can’t imagine how it was received in 1962, the year of its release. I might look more in depth on that later. Anyway, wonderful piece of daring filmmaking. That’s all I have to say about that.

Reading brakhage’s article was definitely a great way to see how he goes about some of his filmmaking processes. It’s always helpful to get further insight from a pioneer of the medium. I definitely appreciate his style of writing, especially the way he addresses the reader. Sometimes I had to reread a few passages to try and understand exactly what he was talking about. He’s a very peculiar man. It would certainly be interesting to be able to get into his mind. This article also helped me appreciate the hard work that he put into his work. He was a very devoted filmmaker, and I commend him for that. He’s a very intricate person, and I hope to be able to learn some valuable tools from him.

Keep on keepin’ on.

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

the question of "why is brakhage such a staple in experimental film classes," is certainly a good one.

you'll get, i'm sure, many answers but it might help to think if this question in terms of, "why do we watch 'birth of a nation' or 'the great train robbery' in narrative film studies classes.

it's not to point out that nothing of such merit has been created since, but rather that these were the first films of their kind. likewise, brakhage opened some new doors in the american avant-garde.